1979 – Aaliyah Dana Haughton, born on the 16th of January in Brooklyn, New York. Raised in Detroit, Michigan. She is known professionally as Aaliyah, was an American R&B singer, dancer, model and actress. She was also a Grammy and Academy Award-nominated singer.
1990 – The young singer competed unsuccessfully on the television program Star Search at age 11.
– She performed with R&B legend Gladys Knight, the former wife of her uncle and manager, Barry Hankerson, at a five-night stand in Las Vegas.
1994 – At the age of 15, she catapulted onto the R&B charts herself with her debut album, Age Ain’t Nothing But a Number. Produced by the successful singer R. (Robert) Kelly, the album quickly sold a million copies and eventually earned platinum status based largely on the success of two hit singles, “Back and Forth” and “At Your Best (You Are Love).”
1996 – Released her sophomore album, One in a Million. Helmed by the well-known pop producer Timbaland (Tim Mosely) and featuring rap performer Missy “Misdemeanor” Elliott.
1997 – Graduated in dance program at Detroit High School for the Fine and Performing Arts.
– She recorded “Journey to the Past,” the Academy Award-nominated theme song to the animated feature Anastasia.
1998 – She also performed the song for the Oscar telecast.
– Her next soundtrack effort, “Are You That Somebody?" for Dr. Dolittle, starring Eddie Murphy, went to No. 1 on the R&B charts, was a pop crossover hit, and earned her first Grammy Award nomination.
2000 – She made her acting debut in the surprise action hit Romeo Must Die, starring opposite martial arts star Jet Li in a Romeo and Juliet-inspired story set in modern-day Los Angeles.
– She was also an executive producer of the movie’s soundtrack and performed the hit single “Try Again,” which netted her a second Grammy nomination as well as two MTV Music Video Awards for Best Female Video and Best Video From a Film.
2001 – Her third album, Aaliyah, was released in July and reached No. 2 on the Billboard album chart.
– She played the title role in Queen of the Damned, based on the bestselling novel by Anne Rice and set for release the following year.
– She scored a major casting coup when she signed to appear in two upcoming sequels to the blockbuster sci-fi thriller The Matrix, starring Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne which she never able to pursue.
– Tragically, she was killed on the 25th of August, when a small Cessna passenger plane carrying the singer and her video crew crashed and burst into flames shortly after takeoff from Abaco Island in the Bahamas, where they had just completed work on a video. The plane was headed for Miami, Florida. She was 22 years old at the time of her death. She is survived by her parents, Diane and Michael Haughton, and an older brother, Rashaad.
Find the best Comcast Deals online here!