Home » Engineers » Gaillard, David DuBose

Gaillard, David DuBose

Born: 1859 AD
Died: 1913 AD
Nationality: American
Categories: Engineers

David DuBose Gaillard was a United States Army Engineer.

1884 – Graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point.

1907 – He was placed in charge of construction of the central portion of the Canal.

1913 – Died of a brain tumor a months before the canal’s completion.

The Gaillard Cut of the Panama Canal bears his name.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

David DuBose Gaillard was born on September 4th, 1859, in South Carolina. He was appointed to the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, from the State of South Carolina; entered the Military Academy as a Cadet on July 1st, 1880; graduated 5th in his class from the Military Academy on June 16th, 1884, and was appointed as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army Corps of Engineers. Serving with the Battalion of Engineers at Willets Point, New York, from September 30th, 1884, to April 18th, 1887; serving as an Assistant to officer in charge of river and harbor works in Florida from April 23rd, 1887, to November of 1891; promoted to First Lieutenant in the Corps of Engieners on October 22nd, 1887; serving as a Member of the International Boundary Commission between the United States and Mexico from November of 1891 to November of 1896; serving as an Assistant in the local charge of defensive works at Fort Monroe, Virginia, from February to October 10th, 1895; serving as an Assistant in the local charge of the Washington aqueduct, and as the officer in charge of the Washington aqueduct and water supply of the city of Washington, D.C., from October 11th, 1895 to May 3rd, 1898, During which time he was engaged in the survey of the Portland Channel, Alaska, from August to November of 1896; promoted to Captain in the Corps of Engineers on October 25th, 1895; serving as the Engineer Officer on the staff of Major-General James F. Wade, U.S. Volunteers, from May 6th to June 11th, 1898. Appointed as Colonel of the 3rd United States Volunteer Engineer Regiment on June 7th, 1898; in command of the regiment from June 7th, 1898, to May 17th, 1899; in camp with the Regiment at Camp George H. Thomas, Chickamauga Park, Georgia, from May 23rd to June 11th, 1898; at Washington, D.C., from June 12th to July 20th, 1898; in camp at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri, from July 22nd to September 20th, 1898; in camp near Lexington, Kentucky, from September 21st to November 11th, 1898; in camp near Macon, Georgia, from November 13th, 1898, to February 1st, 1899; in camp near Cienfuegos, Cuba, from February 8th to April 13th, 1899; in camp at Danfuskie Islands, South Carolina, from April 18th to April 23rd, 1899; in camp at Fort McPherson, Georgia, from April 24th to May 17th, 1899; mustered out of service with the Regiment on May 17th, 1899, at Fort McPherson near Atlanta, Georgia. Serving as an Assistant to the Engineer Commissioner of the District of Columbia, Washington, D.C., from 1899 to 1901; in charge of the harbor improvements of Lake Superior from 1901 to 1903; serving as the Chief of Staff of the Department of the Columbia from September 19th, 1903, to January 11th, 1904; promoted to Major in the Corps of Engineers on April 23rd, 1904; on duty with the General Staff and as the Engineer Officer of the Northern Division at St. Louis, Missouri, from January 15th to November of 1904; on duty with the General Staff at the Army War College from November of 1904 to October of 1906; serving as the Chief of the Military Information Division of the Army of Cuban Pacification at Havana, Cuba, from October of 1906 to February of 1907; Member of the Isthmian Canal Commission on March 16th, 1907; in charge of the Department of Excavation and Dredging at Culebra, Canal Zone, from April 12th, 1907, to May 7th, 1913; promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in the Corps of Engineers on April 11th, 1909; on a leave of absence and sick at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, to December 5th, 1913, at which time he died. Died on December 5th, 1913, at John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, at the age of 54.