Home » Political Leader » Abdel Rahman, Omar, Sheik

Abdel Rahman, Omar, Sheik

Born: 1938 AD
Currently alive, at 83 years of age.
Nationality: Egyptian
Categories: Political Leader, Terrorist

1938 – Born on the 3rd of May in Egypt.

1970 – He developed close ties with two of Egypt’s most militant organizations.

1980 – He had emerged as the leader of Al-Gama’a al-Islamiyya, although he was still revered by

             followers Egyptian Islamic Jihad. 

       – He made his way to Afghanistan where he contacted his former professor, Abdullah Azzam.

1981 – He spent three years in Egyptian jails where he was severely tortured as he awaited trial on

              charges of issuing a fatwa.       
1989 – He built a strong rapport with bin Laden during the Afghan war against the Soviets aning

              Azzam’s murder.

1990 – He was sent to New York City in July to gain control of MAK’s financial and organisational

              infrastructure in the United States.        

       – He was issued a tourist visa to visit the US despite his name being listed on a US State

              Department terrorist  watch list.         

1993 – He was immediately surrounded by a core group of devoted followers that included persons

              responsible for World Trade Center bombing.        

        – He was arrested along with nine of his followers.

1994 – He was found guilty on other charges and sent to prison.

1995 – He was convicted of seditious conspiracy and was sentenced to life in prison.

1997 – His imprisonment has become a rallying point for Islamic militants around the world, including

             Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden.        

1998 – His  last will and testament distributed at an al Qaeda news conference.

2005 – The members of his legal team, were convicted of facilitating communication between the

              imprisoned Sheikh and members of the terrorist organization.         

2006 –  He became ill on the 14th of December.
        – He had a small tear in his esophagus and was treated with a needed transfusion to replace

              lost blood.

        – He  remained at the hospital for five days and his condition improved, and he was returned

              back to prison on the 11th of December.