Currently alive, at 82 years of age.
1938 – Born on the 3rd of May in Egypt.
1970 – He developed close ties with two of Egypt’s most militant organizations.
1980 – He had emerged as the leader of Al-Gama’a al-Islamiyya, although he was still revered by
followers Egyptian Islamic Jihad.
– He made his way to Afghanistan where he contacted his former professor, Abdullah Azzam.
1981 – He spent three years in Egyptian jails where he was severely tortured as he awaited trial on
charges of issuing a fatwa.
1989 – He built a strong rapport with bin Laden during the Afghan war against the Soviets aning
1990 – He was sent to New York City in July to gain control of MAK’s financial and organisational
infrastructure in the United States.
– He was issued a tourist visa to visit the US despite his name being listed on a US State
Department terrorist watch list.
1993 – He was immediately surrounded by a core group of devoted followers that included persons
responsible for World Trade Center bombing.
– He was arrested along with nine of his followers.
1994 – He was found guilty on other charges and sent to prison.
1995 – He was convicted of seditious conspiracy and was sentenced to life in prison.
1997 – His imprisonment has become a rallying point for Islamic militants around the world, including
Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden.
1998 – His last will and testament distributed at an al Qaeda news conference.
2005 – The members of his legal team, were convicted of facilitating communication between the
imprisoned Sheikh and members of the terrorist organization.
2006 – He became ill on the 14th of December.
– He had a small tear in his esophagus and was treated with a needed transfusion to replace
– He remained at the hospital for five days and his condition improved, and he was returned
back to prison on the 11th of December.