1899 – Born on the 29th of March in Merkheuli, in the Abkhazian region of Georgia. Soviet secret police chief.
– Educated at a technical school in Sukhumi.
1917 – Joined the Bolshevik Party and studied engineering in Baku.
– Beria joined the Cheka All-Russian Extraordinary Commission to Combat Counter-Revolution and Sabotage.
1921 – He served as a member of the OGPU (the forerunner of the KGB) in the Caucasus, before becoming first secretary of the Georgian Communist Party.
1922 – Beria was deputy head of the Vecheka’s successor in Georgia.
1924 – He led the repression of nationalist disturbances in Georgia.
– Appointed head of the "secret-political division" of the Transcaucasian OGPU.
– Awarded the Order of the Red Banner.
1926 – Became head of the Georgian OGPU (Combined State Political Directorate).
1931 – He was appointed Party Secretary in Georgia.
1934 – Member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party.
1935 – Beria was one of Stalin’s most trusted subordinates.
1938 – Stalin brought Beria to Moscow as Chairman of the People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs (NKVD).
– He was appointed minister for internal affairs by his patron, Stalin, and served as vice-president of the State Committee for Defense during World War II.
1939 – Became a candidate member of the Communist Party’s Politburo.
1941 – Commissar General of State Security.
– In February, he became a Deputy Chairman of the Council of People’s Commissars (Sovnarkom).
1944 – He was in-charge of dealing with the various ethnic minorities accused of collaboration.
1945 – Accorded the title Marshal of the Soviet Union.
1946 – Beria left the post as the head of the NKVD.
1948 – Moved to consolidate their power with a purge of Zhdanov’s associates known as the "Leningrad Affair".
1953 – Appointed First Deputy Prime Minister and reappointed head of the MVD, which he merged with the MGB.
– On Stalin’s death in March, he attempted to seize power, but was foiled by fearful military and party leaders.
– Pravda announced Beria’s arrest on 10th of July crediting it to Malenkov and referring to Beria’s "criminal activities against the Party and the State".
– Beria was executed on 23rd of December and his burial location remains a mystery.
– He was a plotter of ruthless ambition, and a notoriously skilled organizer of forced labour, terror, and espionage.