1934 – Born in Chadbourn, North Carolina on the 21st of July.
1983 – Representative from New York.
– He has served in the House.
– Towns was born in Chadbourn, North Carolina and earned his bachelor’s degree from North Carolina A & T University and a master’s degree in social work from Adelphi University.
– Towns’ varied professional background includes work as an administrator at Beth Israel Medical Center, a professor at New York’s Medgar Evers College and Fordham University and a public school teacher, teaching orientation and mobility to blind students.
– He is also a veteran of the United States Army and an ordained Baptist minister.
– Towns serves on the Energy and Commerce Committee and is a member of the Congressional Black Caucus.
2005 – Towns received a "C" on the Drum Major Institute’s Congressional Scorecard on middle-class issues.
2006 – Towns faced Democratic primary challenges from Charles Barron-a controversial member of the New York City Council and staunch Sharpton ally-and Roger Green, a former member of the New York State Assembly, who has been convicted of stealing $3,000 in taxpayer dollars.