Born: 425 AD
Died: 491 AD, at 66 years of age.
425 - Born in Isauria. He was also known as Tarasicodissa, a Byzantine emperor.
466 - Lead an army against the German troops of Aspar, at the request of Emperor Leo 1.
468 - Married Ariadne, daughter of Emperor Leo 1. They had a son named Leo II.
469 - Appointed consul and master of the soldiers.
- Expeled the Vandals from Epirus (modern Albania).
474 - Zeno's young son, Leo, becomes emperor on January 18th.
- Leo I died on November 17th, Zeno becomes new emperor, but discovers soon that he is resented for his background.
475 - Illius, Zeno's advsior, attempts a coup against him together with Basilicus. Zeno is forced to flee to Antioch.
476 - Illius returns to Zeno's party, and Zeno seeks aid from the Ostrogoth chief, Theodoric, allowing him to return to Constantinople.
- In the west, chieftain of the Heruli, Odoacer, deposes Emperor Romulus Augustus; Zeno having regained the throne is unable to intervene. With this the Western Roman Empire ended.
- Forged a lasting peace with the Vandals.
478 - New revolt by Marcian of the royal family together with Ostrogoth chief, Theodoric Strabo. Again, Illius crushes it, securing Zeno's position.
482 - Published the Henoticon, aiming at reconciling the differing views of the nature of Christ.
484 - Illius rebels against Zeno the second time.
- The Henoticon is rejected by Pope Felix II (in Rome), causing a schism between Constantinople and Rome. It would not be mended until 35 years later.
489 - Managed to make the Ostrogoths to leave his realm, by making their Theodoric king of Italy.
491 - Died on April 9th, and Ariadne selects Anastasius to succeed as emperor.
Page last updated: 12:42pm, 07th Mar '07