Travolta, John Joseph
1954 - Born on February 18th in Englewood, New Jersey. One of six children born to Helen Travolta and Salvatore Travolta, John Travolta grew up in Englewood, New Jersey. His father owned a tire repair shop in Englewood.
1969 - He appeared on "Medical Center".
1970 - At 16 he landed his first professional job in a summer stock production of the musical "Bye Bye Birdie". He quit school at 16 and moved to New York, and worked regularly in summer stock and on television commercials.
1972 - An opening in the New York production of "Grease" gave him his first Broadway role at age 18.
- He was seen on "The Rookies" and "Emergency!"
1975 - John Travolta first gained fame as the swaggering Vinnie Barbarino on the television series "Welcome Back, Kotter".
- He made an appearance in the movie, "The Devil's Rain", which was shot in New Mexico.
1978 - He became the very first male to make the cover of "McCall's" magazine.
- After the "Grease" album was released, he came out with a deluxe 2-record set called: "Travolta Fever".
1981 - He was named Man of the Year by Harvard's Hasty Pudding Club.
- While filming the movie "Blow Out", he started to suffer from insomnia, which he had since he was a child waiting up for his mother to come home from late acting jobs. He learned to play the violin to calm his nerves.
1991 - Married Kelly Preston, an actress, on September 12th. They had two kids.
1994 - Quentin Tarantino sought him out for "Pulp Fiction". Travolta played the oddly innocent hit-man Vincent Vega, and danced with Uma Thurman.
- He appeared on the cover of "Rolling Stone" magazine 4 times, the most for any actor.
1997- Ranked #21 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
2004 - He starred in a series of television commercials for Sky TV (meant for Italian TV).
Page last updated: 3:57pm, 01st Mar '07