Born: Jul 11, 1953 AD
Currently alive, at 61 years of age.
1953 - Boprn on the 11th of July in St. Louis, Missouri.
1976 - Won gold medal in Olympic light heavyweight boxing.
1976 - 1995 - He had an overall record of 26 wins, 17 losses and 3 draws as a professional, with 14 knockout wins.
1977 - He debuted professionall in Las Vegas, beating Bob Smith by a knockout in five rounds.
- His next fight marked his debut abroad, as he went to Liverpool, England, beating Peter Freeman by a knockout in the first round.
- A couple of fights later, he saw a slight improvement in opposition quality, when he fought Pedro Agosto of Puerto Rico and knocked him out in the first.
- He then drew with Scott LeDoux and beat Italian champion Alfio Riguetti by a decision.
1978 - He then ranked number one among the world's Heavyweight challengers, made history on February 15, by beating an aged and out of shape Muhammad Ali in a 15-round decision in Las Vegas to become the fastest man ever to win the world's Heavyweight crown when he became champion in only his eighth fight.
- Ali, who had not been the same since his last fight with Joe Frazier, expected this to be an easy fight. But, with his skills tarnished from years of fighting, and with his lack of training before the fight, he was out hustled by him who never seemed to tire in the bout.
- The second Ali fight was different from the first; Spinks lost the title to Ali in New Orleans at the Louisiana Superdome on the 15th of September, by a unanimous 15 round decision.
1978 - Spinks was known to be a party animal during his period as world Heavyweight champion, always enjoying the night life and in the company of multiple women. He even hired a young Mr. T to be one of his bodyguards during that time.
1979 - In his next fight, his only bout of 79', he went to Monte Carlo, where he was knocked out in the first round by future world Heavyweight champion Gerrie Coetzee.
2005 - He lived in Columbus, Nebraska, working at a local YMCA, working at Mcdonalds, and volunteering at an after-school program for youth. He told a reporter his life is "comfortable", and that he keeps a low profile.
2007 - He is still working and living in the Columbus, Nebraska area.
Page last updated: 8:43am, 05th Jul '07