Born: Jan 22, 1939 AD
Died: 2004 AD, at 65 years of age.
1939 - Born on January 22nd in Seattle, Washington.
- He grew up in a close family, and learned some of his first lessons in food, and in frugal cooking from his mother. His love of wine; one of the most prominent elements in his cooking, came from his friendship, in his youth, with a doctor named Lester Baskin. Dr. Baskin introduced young Smith to wine while he was studying to become a Methodist minister.
1962 - Enrolled at University of Puget Sound. As an assistant professor at the University of Puget Sound, Jeff began a cooking class, as a way of teaching his students about history, and different cultures: "eating history", as Smith put it.
1965 - Graduated at Drew University, New Jersey.
- Ordained as a minister in the United Methodist Church.
1966 - Married to Patricia Smith.
- Served as Chaplain at the University of Puget Sound.
1972 - Lead to the opening of his Chaplain's Pantry cooking school in Tacoma. And from there The Frugal Gourmet was born.
1977 - The first shows were produced at KTPS in Tacoma, and Jeff's first cookbook was published.
1981 - He underwent surgery to replace a heart valve.
- The Frugal Gourmet had become the highest rated cooking show on television, and Jeff's books soared up the bestseller lists as soon as they were released.
1995 - Appeared as an actor in the film Grumpier Old Men.
- Jeff Smith hosted The Frugal Gourmet Keeps the Feast for the Odyssey Network. And then, he retired from television, leaving behind a legacy of loyal fans; people who learned to cook, eat well, and enjoy life... with lots of Garlic.
2004 - Died on July 7th.
Page last updated: 12:07pm, 28th Mar '07