Obama, Barack Hussein Jr.
1961 - Barack Obama was born on the 4th of August in Honolulu, Hawaii. His parents
- Barack Hussein Obama Sr. from Kenya, and Ann Dunham of Wichita, Kansas
- Met while both were attending the East-West Center of the University of Hawaii at Manoa. American politician.
1963 - His parents got divorced. His mother married an Indonesian student, and when Obama was 6 years old they moved to Jakarta.
1971 - Obama returned to Hawaii to live with his maternal grandparents.
1979 - He was enrolled in the fifth grade at Punahou School where he graduated from high school at 18 years old.
1983 - He majored in political science in Columbia University, with a specialization in international relations.
1984 - He worked for a year at Business International Corporation before he moved to Chicago to a job with a non-profit organization local churches organize job training programs for residents of poor neighborhoods.
1991 - He was elected president of the Harvard Law Review.
- He obtained his Juris Doctor degree, magna cum laude.
1992 - Married to Michelle Obama on October 18th.
1996 - Elected to the Illinois State Senate representing the 13th District in the south side neighborhood of Hyde Park in Chicago.
2002 - He rededicated his efforts to the Illinois state Senate. In his campaign, he ran unopposed. Obama authored a law requiring police to videotape interrogations for crimes punishable by the death penalty. He also pushed through legislation that would force insurance companies to cover routine mammograms.
2003 - In January, democrats regained control of the chamber, and Senator Obama was named chairman of the Senate Health and Human Services Committee.
2004 - At the Democratic National Convention, he delivered the keynote address. At this time he was still serving in the Illinois State Senate.
- In November, he was elected to the US Senate as a Democrat by a landslide in a presidential election year marked by Republican gains.
2007 - On the 16th of January, he took his first step toward a run for the White House opening an presidential exploratory committee.
- He became a United States Senator from Illinois. He is the fifth African-American Senator in United States history.
2008 - Candidate for the Democratic nomination in the United States presidential election.
- On November 4th, he became the President Elect and will be sworn in as the 44th President of the United States.
2009 - He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize 9 October for his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms and strengthen international diplomacy.
Page last updated: 11:30pm, 21st Mar '10