Newman, John Henry
1801 - Born on February 21st in London, England. An influential churchman and man of letters of the 19th century, who led the Oxford Movement in the Church of England and later became a cardinal-deacon in the Roman Catholic church.
1822-1828 - After pursuing his education in an evangelical home and at Trinity College, Oxford, he was made a fellow of Oriel College, Oxford, vice principal of Alban Hall, and vicar of St. Mary's, Oxford.
1834-1843 - His eloquent books, notably Parochial and Plain Sermons, Lectures on the Prophetical Office of the Church, and University Sermons, revived emphasis on the dogmatic authority of the church and urged reforms of the Church of England after the pattern of the original “catholic,” or universal, church of the first five centuries AD.
1845 - He came to view the Roman Catholic church as the true modern development from the original body.
1848 - Newman went to Rome to be ordained to the priesthood and after some uncertainties founded the Oratory at Birmingham.
1852-1853 - He was convicted of libeling the apostate former Dominican priest Achilli. He was summoned to Ireland to be the first rector of the new Catholic university in Dublin, but the task was, under the circumstances, impossible, and the only useful result was his lectures on the Idea of a University.
1864 - From the sense of frustration engendered by these experiences Newman was delivered by an unwarranted attack from Charles Kingsley upon his moral teaching.
1870 - He expressed opposition to a definition of papal infallibility, though himself a believer in the doctrine. In the same year, he published his most important book of theology, An Essay in Aid of a Grammar of Assent (commonly known as The Grammar of Assent), which contained a further consideration of the nature of faith and an attempt to show how faith can possess certainty when it rises out of evidence that can never be more than probable.
1879 - Pope Leo XIII made him cardinal-deacon of St. George in Velabro.
1890 - He died on August 11th at Birmingham and is buried (with his closest friend, Ambrose St. John) at Rednal, the rest house of the Oratory.
Page last updated: 3:29pm, 12th Apr '07