Garcia, Carlos Polistico
1896 - Born on November 4th in Talibon, Bohol, Philippines. A Filipino politician and the 8th President of the Philippines.
- He studied in Cebu Provincial High School and Silliman University.
1923 - Graduated from Philippine Law School.
- Garcia was famous for his poetry in Bohol where he earned the nickname Prince of Visayan Poets.
1925 - Garcia became a school teacher then a representative in the Philippine Congress.
1931-1940 - He was elected governor of Bohol.
1941 - Garcia became a senator.
1945 - He was the one who missioned the Philippine Rehabilitation at War Damage claims in the United States.
1953 - Garcia was elected as vice-president and was appointed as the Secretary of Foreign Affairs.
1957 - Took his oath as the 8th president of the Philippines on March 23rd after the death of President Ramon Magsaysay.
- President Garcia is most remembered most for his Austerity Program and Filipino First Policy. His Austerity Program was aimed at curbing graft and corruption within the government. Although it was not very successful, it did help to restore trust between the people and the government.
1961 - His term as president ended on December 30th.
- Garcia ran for president again in the elections but lost to Vice-President Diosdado Macapagal.
1971 - Garcia was elected delegate of the Constitutional Convention and chosen as president.
- Died of heart failure on June 14th in Quezon City, Philippines.
Page last updated: 3:00am, 23rd Feb '08