Ebbers, Bernard John
1941 - Born on August 27th in Edmonton, Alberta. Canadian-born American telecommunications businessman and white-collar criminal.
1968 - Married to Linda Pigott.
1983 - He discovered the telecom business.
- Co-founder of the Long Distance Discount Services, Inc (LDDS).
1985 - The president of WorldCom.
1992 - Earned his Honorary Doctor of Laws from Mississippi College.
1995 - LDDS was changed into WorldCom.
- Inducted in the Mississippi Business Hall of Fame.
- Oversaw acquisition of Williams Telecommunications Group.
1998 - Received his honorary doctorate from Tougaloo College.
- Oversaw merger with MCI, forming MCI WorldCom (later WorldCom Inc.).
- The president and CEO of WorldCom Inc.
1999 - Married his second wife, Kristie Webb.
- He attempted to acquire Sprint Corp.
2002 - WorldCom first disclosed the accounting irregularities that led to Ebbers' prosecution and the investor lawsuit in June.
- Was called by Congress for questioning in connection with alleged accounting irregularities at WorldCom, but invoked Fifth Amendment.
2005 - Was found guilty for his role in the huge accounting scandal that led to the largest bankruptcy in U.S. history.
Page last updated: 2:27pm, 10th Jul '07