Britton, Nathaniel Lord
Born: 1859 AD
Died: 1934 AD, at 75 years of age.
1859 - Britton was born in New Dorp in Staten Island, New York.
- He was a graduate of the Columbia University School of Mines and afterwards taught geology and botany at Columbia.
- Britton was the first director of the New York Botanical Garden.
- He engendered substantial financial support for the botanical garden by naming plants after wealthy contributors.
- He married Elizabeth Gertrude Knight, a bryologist and fellow member of the Torrey Botanical Club.
- He visited frequently when the winter weather in New York City became too severe. His contributions to Caribbean flora are undisputed.
1929 - Britton retired as director of the NY Botanical Garden, but continued his research of Caribbean flora.
1934 - Nathaniel Lord Britton died.
Page last updated: 5:03pm, 28th Aug '07