Breathitt, Edward Thompson Jr.
Born: Nov 26, 1924 AD
Died: 2003 AD, at 78 years of age.
1924 - Born on November 26th in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. American politician.
1942 - He served the U.S. Army Air Corps.
1948-1950 - Received his B.S. and LL.B. from the University of Kentucky.
1952 - He became interested in politics and served as President of the Young Democrats Clubs of Kentucky.
- He was Chairman of the State Speaker's Bureau for Adlai Stevenson's presidential campaign.
- He was elected to three terms in the Kentucky General Assembly, and was a member of the Governor's Commission on Mental Health and of the State Public Service Commission.
1954 - Worked on the state campaign staff in former Vice President Alben Barkley's successful bid for re-election to the U. S. Senate.
1963 - He was elected as Governor of Kentucky.
- He was named to the Executive Committee of the National Governors' Conference and was Chairman of its Natural Resources Committee.
1964-1967 - He and his administration received numerous awards, including: a Lincoln Key Award for leadership in passage of state civil rights bill; Society of Industrial Investors' top award for the best industrial development program; Midwest Travel Writer's Association's top national award for the best travel promotion; U. S. Department of Interior Distinguished Service Award for contributions to conservation; and Conservationist of the Year Award from "Outdoor Life" magazine.
- He became Special Counsel in Kentucky for Southern Railway in December.
- Edward Thompson Breathitt Jr. was named to the Hall of Distinguished Alumni in February.
1968 - He was named Director of the Institute for Rural America, funded by the Ford Foundation, and in September was appointed Federal Representative on the Southern Interstate Nuclear Board.
1971-1972 - He was elected Chairman of the Coalition for Rural America. He became Vice President, Public Affairs, for Southern Railway on March 1st.
2003 - Died on October 11th in Lexington, Kentucky.
Page last updated: 12:54am, 25th Aug '07