Borrell, Josep Fontelles
Born: Apr 24, 1947 AD
Currently alive, at 67 years of age.
1947 - He was born in La Pobla de Segur (Lleida) on 24th of April. European politician.
- He obtained his degree in Aeronautical Engineering in Madrid's Universidad Politécnica.
1969 - He obtained a Doctorate degree in Economics from the Complutense University of Madrid.
- He completed his university studies with Masters Degree in Operative Research at Stanford University and Economy of Energy at the French Petrology Institute in Paris.
1975 - Worked in Madrid as an engineer for the state petroleum company.
1979 - He began his political career when he was elected as a member of Madrid's regional government and given responsibilities in the area of Fiscal policy.
1982 - Borrell was elected General Secretary of Budget and Public Spending within Spain's Finance Ministry.
1984 - He was appointed State Secretary of Finances.
1991 - Borrell was appointed Minister of State Construction, Transport and Environment.
1999 - He stood down as official candidate of the Presidency of the PSOE party because of a tax fraude case involving two of his ex-colleagues in the Finance Ministry.
- Borrell was elected Chairman of the Mixed Commission of Congress-Senate for the European Union.
2000 - He was re-elected to occupy the same post.
2002-2004 - He was elected representative of the Spanish Parliament in the European Convention to debate the future of the European Union.
- Served as President of the European Parliament.
- Josep Borrell is the official candidate for the PSOE Party in the European elections
2007 - He is chair of the Committee on Development as of January.
- He is a Chair Professor of the Economics Faculty in the Complutense University of Madrid.
Page last updated: 1:39pm, 20th Aug '07