Blackwell, Gordon Williams
Born: Apr 27, 1911 AD
Died: 2004 AD, at 92 years of age.
1911 - Born on the 27th of April in Timmonsville, South Carolina. American administrator and educator.
1932 - Graduated from Furman University.
1933 - Finished the M.A. degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
1937 - Received the M.A. degree from Harvard University.
- Dr. Blackwell began his teaching career at Furman, where he served as professor and chairman of the sociology department.
- He was head of the Department of Sociology at Furman.
- Staff member of the Greenville County Council for Community Development.
1940 - Awarded the Ph.D. degree from Harvard University.
1941 - Associate professor of sociology at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Became the research associate at the Institute for Research in Social Science.
1942 - Blackwell became research professor and director of the Institute.
1957 - Appointed Chancellor of the Woman's College of the University of North Carolina.
1960 - Became President of Florida State University.
1965-1976 - Served as President of Furman University.
- He oversaw dramatic increases in the operating budget, the endowment, and faculty salaries, and he took justifiable pride in tripling the amount of financial aid for students.
2004 - Died on January 26th.
Page last updated: 12:14am, 10th Aug '07