Bismarck, Otto Eduard Leopold von, Prince
1815 - Born on the 1st of April in Schönhausen, Altmark, Prussia. German Prussian politician.
- Educated at the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Gymnasium and the Graues Kloster-Gymnasium.
1832 - At age 17, he joined the Georg August University of Göttingen.
1847 - He attended the Prussian United Diet, where his speeches against Jewish emancipation and contemporary liberalism gained him the reputation of a backwoods conservative, out of touch with the dynamic forces of his age.
- He married Johanna von Puttkamer on the 28th of July.
1848 - He began contributing to the Kreuzzeitung newspaper as an organ of antirevolutionary sentiment.
1849 - Bismarck studied law and was elected to the Prussian Diet.
1851 - He was appointed Prussian representative to the federal Diet in Frankfurt.
1859 - Became the Prussian Ambassador to Russia.
1862 - Served as Prussian Prime Minister.
- Elected as Prussian Minister Foreign.
- He was the Prussian Ambassador to France.
1864 - Under his leadership Prussia won a war against Denmark.
1866 - He was made a count, and created a prince and chancellor of the new German Empire.
1871 - He was the founder and first chancellor of the German Empire.
1873-1890 - Became the Prussian Prime Minister.
- He clashed with Emperor William II, who saw him as a rival for power, and was forced to resign from the chancellorship.
- He was made Duke of Lauenburg.
1898 - He died on 30th of July in Friedrichsruh, Germany.
Page last updated: 1:01am, 09th Aug '07