1789 - Born in Bennington, Vermont.
- He attended Middlebury College and the Andover Theological Seminary.
1819 - The American Board of Missions sent him, with others, to found the first Protestant mission in the Hawaiian Islands.
1820 - Became the missionary to Hawaii.
1822 - Bingham adapted the Hawaiian language to writing, published Elementary Lessons in Hawaiian, and, with his associates, translated the Bible into Hawaiian.
- Bingham designed the Kawaiaha Church, on the Hawaiian Island of Oahu.
- He developed 1st system of written Hawaiian.
- Helped translate Bible into Hawaiian.
- The United States liberty ship SS Hiram Bingham was named in his honor.
1869 - Bingham died.
Page last updated: 4:32pm, 07th Jun '07