Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto
Born: Jan 05, 1928 AD
Died: 1979 AD, at 51 years of age.
1928 - Born on the 5th of January to Khursheed Begum and Sir Shah Nawaz Bhutto.
- Educated at Bombay's Cathedral High School and then attended St. Xavier's College.
- Zulfikar Ali Bhutto is the father of Benazir Bhutto.
1943 - Married Shireen Amir Begum.
1947 - Bhutto was admitted into the University of Southern California.
1949 - Earned an honors degree in political science at the University of California, Berkeley.
1950 - He traveled to England to study law at the Christ Church College in Oxford.
1953 - Finished law and was called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn.
1957 - Bhutto became the youngest member of Pakistan's delegation to the United Nations.
- Became the youngest Pakistani cabinet minister.
1960 - Bhutto aided Ayub in negotiating the Indus Water Treaty with India.
1961 - Negotiated an oil exploration agreement with the Soviet Union.
1963 - Appointed Pakistan's foreign minister.
1971-1973 - Served as the 1st civilian President of Pakistan.
1973-1977 - Became the Prime Minister of Pakistan.
1977 - He was deposed by Chief of Army Staff General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq on 5th of July.
- Arrested again on charges of the authorization of the murder of a political opponent.
- He was found guilty and sentenced to death by the High Court.
1979 - His appeal was rejected by the Supreme Court and was hanged on 4th of April.
- Founded the Pakistan People's Party (PPP).
Page last updated: 12:59pm, 09th Aug '07