1938 - Born on the 3rd of May in Egypt.
1970 - He developed close ties with two of Egypt’s most militant organizations.
1980 - He had emerged as the leader of Al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya, although he was still revered by
followers Egyptian Islamic Jihad.
- He made his way to Afghanistan where he contacted his former professor, Abdullah Azzam.
1981 - He spent three years in Egyptian jails where he was severely tortured as he awaited trial on
charges of issuing a fatwa.
1989 - He built a strong rapport with bin Laden during the Afghan war against the Soviets aning
1990 - He was sent to New York City in July to gain control of MAK’s financial and organisational
infrastructure in the United States.
- He was issued a tourist visa to visit the US despite his name being listed on a US State
Department terrorist watch list.
1993 - He was immediately surrounded by a core group of devoted followers that included persons
responsible for World Trade Center bombing.
- He was arrested along with nine of his followers.
1994 - He was found guilty on other charges and sent to prison.
1995 - He was convicted of seditious conspiracy and was sentenced to life in prison.
1997 - His imprisonment has become a rallying point for Islamic militants around the world, including
Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden.
1998 - His last will and testament distributed at an al Qaeda news conference.
2005 - The members of his legal team, were convicted of facilitating communication between the
imprisoned Sheikh and members of the terrorist organization.
2006 - He became ill on the 14th of December.
- He had a small tear in his esophagus and was treated with a needed transfusion to replace
- He remained at the hospital for five days and his condition improved, and he was returned
back to prison on the 11th of December.
This page is copyright © s9.com