1475 - Was born in Caprese near Arezzo, Tuscany, on the 6th of March.
1490 - Michelangelo attended Lorenzo's school and was influenced by many prominent people who modified and expanded his ideas on art, following the dominant Platonic view of that age, and even his feelings about sexuality.
1492 - After the death of Lorenzo on the 8th of April, for whom Michelangelo had become a kind of son, Michelangelo quit the Medici court.
1493-1494 - He bought the marble for a larger than life statue of Hercules, which was sent to France and disappeared sometime in the 1700s.
1495 - He was again in his city between the end and the whereas Leonardo da Vinci considered the ruling Savonarola a fanatic and left the city, Michelangelo was touched by the friar's preaching, by the associated moral severity and by the hope of renovation of the Roman Church.
1499-1501 - Michelangelo returned to Florence.
1536-1546 - He was engaged on plans for the rearrangement and reconstruction of the great group of buildings on the Capitol.
1564 - He died on the threshold of his ninetieth year, on the 18th of February.
Page last updated: 8:43pm, 09
- "Heaven-born, the soul a heavenward course must hold; beyond the world she soars; the wise man, I affirm, can find no rest in that which perishes, nor will he lend his heart to ought that doth time depend."
- "What spirit is so empty and blind, that it cannot recognize the fact that the foot is more noble than the shoe, and skin more beautiful that the garment with which it is clothed?"
- "Lord grant that I might always desire more than I can accomplish."
- "The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection."
- "If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all."