McGovern, George Stanley
Currently alive, at 91 years of age.
Categories: Politicial Adviser
US Democratic politician
Representative from South Dakota 1957-1961
director of Food for Peace Program 1961-1962
Senator from South Dakota 1963-1981
candidate for Democratic presidential nomination 1968, 1984
chairman of Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs 1968-1977
Democratic presidential candidate 1972
wrote reminiscence "Terry: My Daughter's Life-and-Death Struggle With Alcoholism" 1996
Page last updated: 1:45pm, 25
- "You know, sometimes, when they say you're ahead of your time, it's just a polite way of saying you have a real bad sense of timing."
- "The whole campaign was a tragic case of mistaken identity."
- "To those who charge that liberalism has been tried and found wanting, I answer that the failure is not in the idea, but in the course of recent history. The New Deal was ended by World War II. The New Frontier was closed by Berlin and Cuba almost before it was opened. And the Great Society lost its greatness in the jungles of Indochina."
- "When people ask if the United States can afford to place on trial the president, if the system can stand impeachment, my answer is,"Can we stand anything else?"
- "The longer the title, the less important the job."