Ibsen, Henrik Johan
Died: 1906 AD, at 78 years of age.
wrote plays "Catilina" 1850 (under pseudonym Brynjolf Bjarme), "Brand" 1866, "Peer Gynt" 1867, "Emperor and Galilean" 1873, "A Doll's House" 1879, "Ghosts" 1881, "An Enemy of the People" 1882, "The Wild Duck" 1884, "Hedda Gabler" 1890, "The Master Builder" 1892
father of realist drama
Page last updated: 1:30pm, 25
- "The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone."
- "One should never put on one's best trousers to go out to battle for freedom and truth."
- "A community is like a ship, everyone ought to be prepared to take the helm."
- "What in fact have I achieved, however much it may seem? Bits and piecesâ€¦ trivialities. But here they won't tolerate anything else, or anything more. If I wanted to take one step in advance of the current views and opinions of the day, that would put paid to any power I have. Do you know what we areâ€¦ those of us who count as pillars of society? We are society's tools, neither more nor less."
- "Different people have different duties assigned to them by Nature; Nature has given one the power or the desire to do this, and the other that. Each bird must sing with his own throat."