1822 - Born on the 27th of April.
1862 - Captured Fort Donelson in Tennessee, defeating Simon Buckner.
1863 - Successfully laid siege to Vicksburg.
- Won victories at battles of Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge.
1864-1865 - Last general-in-chief of Union forces in Civil War.
1865 - Received formal surrender of Robert E. Lee at Appomattox Court House, Virginia.
1869-1877 - The 18th president of US.
- Continued Reconstruction policies and federal occupation of South
- Tarnished by failure to prevent assorted scandals by executive branch officials, though having no known personal role in any misdeeds
1869 - Ordered George Boutwell to sell off massive quantities of federal gold to alleviate Black Friday crisis.
1872 - Signed legislation dismantling Freedman's Bureau.
1877-1879 - In retirement, made extended world tour .
1880 - Candidate for Republican presidential nomination.
1883-1885 - President of National Rifle Association (NRA).
- Died on the 23rd of July.
- Became all but bankrupt as investor in failed brokerage firm.
1886 - Wrote 2-volume memoirs "Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant".
Page last updated: 5:53am, 09