1780 - Born on the 28th of May in Summer Hill, Fairfax County, Virginia.
- Received education at the academy in Alexandria, Virginia.
- At the University of Pennsylvania, he attracted the notice of Dr. Benjamin Rush and became one of his private pupils. At the suggestion of Dr. Rush, Chapman presented an inaugural thesis on hydrophobia in answer to an attack on Dr. Rush's favorite theory on theory on the pathology of theft disease.
1800 - He went to Philadelphia and was graduated at the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania.
- He went abroad, studying for a year in Londer under Dr. Abernethy, and then for two years in the University of Edinburgh.
1804 - He returned to the United States this year and began practice in Philadelphia, where he soon became eminent.
1808 - Select Speeches, Forensic and Parliamentary was published this year in Philadelphia.
1810 - He assisted Dr. Thomas C. James.
1813 - He became professor of materia medica in the University of Pennsylvania.
1816 - He was elected to the chair of theory and practice of medicine, which he held until 1850.
1817 - He founded the medical institute this year and for more than twenty years, he delivered a summer course of lectures in that institution.
1820 - He began the publication of The Philadelphia Journal of the Medical and Physical Sciences.
1828 - Element of Therapeutics and Materia Medica was published this year.
- For some time, he was president of the Philadelphia Medical Society.
- First president of the American Medical Association.
- For many years he gave clinical lectures in the hospital of the Philadelphia ahnshouse.
1838-1840 - Many of his lectures appeared in the Medical Examiner of Philadelphia and afterward were issued in book form.
1844 - Lectures on Eruptive Fevers, Hemorrhages, and Dropsies, and on Gout and Rheumatism was published this year.
- Lectures on the Thoracic Viscera was published.
1846-1848 - President of the American Philosophical Society.
1853 - Died on the 1st of May in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Page last updated: 3:58am, 14