1842 – Born on April 14th in Orwell, Ohio. American military officer and general.
1861 – He enlisted in the 6th Cavalry on July.
1862 – He was promoted to sergeant and participated in the Peninsular and Antietam Campaigns.
– He was advanced to first sergeant of Company K on September.
1863 – He was commissioned a second lieutenant by direction of the secretary of war.
1865-1867 – He was promoted to first lieutenant and captain.
1868 – Married to Kate Haynie Reynolds.
– He served in the Indian wars against Central Plains and southwestern tribes.
1875 – Married to Annie Frances Rockwell.
1888 – He was promoted to major and posted to the 9th Cavalry.
1897 – He was promoted to lieutenant colonel and transferred to the 3d Cavalry.
– He was commandant of the Cavalry School, Fort Riley.
1898 – He commanded a brigade in the Santiago campaign and served as chief of staff to the military governor of Cuba.
1900 – Commanded the American contingent in the multinational relief force sent to China during the Boxer uprising.
1901 – Promoted to major general in the permanent establishment.
– Commanded the Department of the Philippines and served as military governor.
1902 – Commanded the Department of the East.
1904 – He was chief of staff of the United States Army.
1906 – Served on an Army and Navy board for cooperation between the services; retired from active service.
– He was president of the Board of Public Works for the city of Los Angeles.
1914 – Died on November 1st in Los Angeles, California.