1855 - He was born on the 28th of January.
- He invented adding machine and cash register.
1885 - He founder and eponym of Burroughs Adding Machine Co.
1898 - He died on the 14th of September in Citronelle, Alabama and was interred in Bellefontaine Cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri.
Page last updated: 10:14am, 07
- "Junk is the ultimate merchandise. The junk merchant does not sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to the product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise, he degrades and simplifies the client."
- "The cat does not offer services. The cat offers itself. Of course he wants care and shelter. You don't buy love for nothing. Like all pure creatures, cats are practical."
- "So cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can't fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal."
- "In the U.S. you have to be a deviant or exist in extreme boredom...Make no mistake; all intellectuals are deviants in the U.S."