1923 – Born on the 17th of June in Brooklyn, New York. He is an American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church.
– Attended Public School 60, St. Thomas the Apostle School, Richmond Hill High School, and Cathedral High School.
1943 – Graduated from the Immaculate Conception Seminary in Huntington, New York.
1949 – Ordained a priest at Brooklyn’s St. James Cathedral on 11th of June.
– Served as a faculty member on the Cathedral Colllege.
1971 – Established the Catholic Office for Migrants and Refugees.
1975 – Finished law degree from St. John’s University.
1976 – He was raised to the rank of a monsignor on 23rd of January.
1980 – On 7th of October, he was appointed an auxiliary bishop of Brooklyn.
– He was a Titular bishop of Aquae Albae in Byzaena.
– Consecrated to the episcopate on the 24th of November by Bishop Francis Mugavero.
1983-1987 – Named the tenth Bishop of Pittsburgh on 7th of October.
1988-2003 – Replaced John Cardinal Krol as Archbishop of Philadelphia.
1991 – Created Cardinal Priest of Ss. Redentore e S. Alfonso in Via Merluana by Pope John Paul II.
2003 – Upon his 80th birthday, on 17th of June, he became ineligible to vote in a papal conclave.
– Retired as Archbishop of Philadelphia effective 15th of July.