– Benedict VIII was born in Rome, Italy.
1012 – Opposed by an antipope, Gregory VI, who compelled him to flee Rome.
– Benedict VIII became Pope.
– He promoted peace in Italy by allying himself with the Normans, defeating the Saracens, and subjugating the Crescentii.
1020 – Traveled to Germany to confer with Henry II about the renewed Byzantine menace in the Mezzogiorno.
– Consecrated the new cathedral in Bamberg.
– He convinced the Emperor to lead an expedition into the south of Italy.
1024 – Benedict VIII died on the 9th of April in Rome, Italy.