1918 - Born on the 29th of March in Southampton County, Virginia, to Rev. Joseph & Ella Mae Bailey.
1933 - Began as a dancer and won an amateur contest in Philadelphia.
1938 - She won a singing contest at Harlem's Apollo Theatre.
1946 - Starred in the Broadway musical St Louis Woman.
1952 - Married the drummer-bandleader Louis Bellson.
1954 - Appeared in many films, television, and stage shows, including Carmen Jones.
1967-1969 - Hello, Dolly.
1968 - Her autobiography, The Raw Pearl, was published in this year.
1970-1971 - Hosted her own television variety show.
1988 - Awarded a Presidential Medal of Freedom on 17th of October.
1990 - Pearl Bailey died on 17th of August due to heart failure.
Page last updated: 3:32am, 23
- "A man without ambition is dead. A man with ambition but no love is dead. A man with ambition and love for his blessings here on earth is ever so alive."
- "We must change in order to survive."
- "What the world really needs is more love and less paperwork."
- "When you're young, the silliest notions seem the greatest achievements."
- "There are two kinds of talents, man-made talent and God-given talent. With man-made talent you have to work very hard. With God-given talent, you just touch it up once in a while."