1904 - Azikiwe was born in Zungeru, Nigeria on the 16th of November.
1930 - Attended Storer College, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia but he transferred and graduated from Lincoln University in Pennsylvania.
1934 - Founded the newspaper "The African Morning Post".
1946 - He is the co-founder and president of National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons.
1954-1959 - Became the first Premier of Eastern Nigeria.
1960-1963 - He was the last Governor-General of Nigeria.
1963-1966 - Became the first and only ceremonial President of Nigeria. He was overthrown by a military coup on January 15, 1966.
1967-1970 - He was appointed as spokesman for the nascent republic and an adviser to its leader Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu.
1972-1976 - He became the Chancellor of Lagos University.
1978 - Became a member of the Nigerian People's Party.
1996 - He died at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu on the 11th of May.
Page last updated: 7:51am, 02
- "Israel has created a new image of the Jew in the world-the image of a working and an intellectual people, of a people that can fight with heroism."
- "The trebling of the population in this small and impoverished country, flowing with milk and honey but not with sufficient water, rich in rocks and sand dunes but poor in natural resources and vital raw materials, has been no easy task: Indeed, practical men, with their eyes fixed upon things as they are, regarded it as an empty and insubstantial utopian dream."
- "Pray that success will not come any faster than you are able to endure it."
- "It is better we disintegrate in peace and not in pieces."
- "Ours is a country built more on people than on territory. The Jews will come from everywhere: from France, from Russia, from America, from Yemen. ... Their faith is their passport."