1875 - Born on the 24th of November into an ex-samurai family in Kanazawa city, Ishikawa Prefecture.
1930 - He was appointed commander of the 4th Infantry Division on the 22nd of December.
- He served as instructor in the Army War College followed by chief of the Military Affairs Bureau and as
Vice Minister of the Army.
1933 - He was promoted to full general and took command of the Taiwan Army.
1936 - He was placed on the reserve list.
1939 - He became Prime Minister on the 30th of August.
- He sought to quickly end the Second Sino-Japanese War, and to maintain Japan's neutrality in
the growing European conflict.
1940 - He was replaced by Mitsumasa Yonai in January.
1942 - He return to Japan and joined the House of Peers.
- He became the president of the Imperial Rule Assistance Political Association.
1944 - He was appointed as the 10th (and last) Governor-General of Korea.
- He was purged from public office, and arrested by the Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers.
- He was never charged with any war crimes and was soon released.
1953 - He died on the 7th of September at the age of 77.
Page last updated: 3:24am, 14